What an epic episode. I wish I could turn a Frozen Donkey Wheel and go back in time to the first time I saw this episode, because I’d love to enjoy how amazing this was the first time around (and the same could be said for the finale that will follow). You’ve probably noticed that recently I’ve dropped the “Things that Have New Meaning” bit because that was only in light of the finale, and since we’re almost there, the things in the ep stand for themselves.
Fun things I noticed:
• I LOOOOOVE that look that Kate gives to Jack when they ask if they’re with Daniel and he says, “Yes.” She looks at him as if to say ohmygodyoudumbassiamgoingtokillyoudead.
• Notice in the diary she inscribes that she will always love him, “no matter what,” as if those three words refer to her eventually killing him.
• I would love a deleted scene where we finally see Richard Alpert’s sense of humour, where he looks at Sun and says, “I watched them all die”… music swells… boom boom boom… “HAHA! Sorry, I’m TOTALLY kidding. Nah, they were in the Dharma Initiative and they’re fine. Why do you ask?”
• I love Ben in this episode. He’s just SO PISSED OFF.
• That scene between Jack and Kate never gets old. What incredible acting from both of them. Curse you, Emmys!!
• F U PHIL. I love that when Phil hits Juliet even Radzinsky looks at Phil like, “Dude. Harsh.”
• Sawyer says, “You’re a dead man, Phil.” Check out Sawyer! He can see the future!
• Chang interrogating Hurley is comedy GOLD.
MILES: Dr. Chang? What are you doing here?
DR. CHANG: I could ask you the same question.
HURLEY: But we asked you first.
DR. CHANG: Your friend Faraday said that you were from the future. I need to know if he was telling the truth.
HURLEY: Dude, that's ridiculous.
DR. CHANG: What year were you born? What year?
HURLEY: Uh... 1931?
DR. CHANG: You're 46?
HURLEY: Yeah. Yes, I am.
DR. CHANG: So you fought in the Korean War?
HURLEY: [Pauses] There's... no such thing.
DR. CHANG: Who's the President of the United States?
HURLEY: All right, dude, we're from the future. Sorry.
• I think I’ve figured out Richard’s secret: he’s a vampire. Instead of burning up in the sun, or… sparkling… he’s just fine. The island has healed him of his sun sensitivity.
• I know we’ve talked about this on here before, but I LOVE the way Michael Emerson says things. “How did you know hhhhhhhwhen to be here?” “Hhhhhhhwhat?!”
• Sayid’s face when Kate says they saved Ben is bloody priceless. He says in the quietest voice possible, “And why would you do that” because inside he’s screaming, “I WILL KILL YOU!!!!”
• I’ve always enjoyed Sayid asking Jack why they trust Eloise after everything she’s proven to them, because… well, he’s kinda got a point.
• We talked a lot about that woman in the Others’ camp who looks like Juliet. I think it’s a red herring, and I believe it might actually be Elizabeth Mitchell, who’s been aged to look older, but it’s not actually Juliet. Just something to make us go nuts.