Follow along! The episode guide for “Exposé” is in Finding Lost — Season 3, pp. 106-113.
Oh, you ALL know I’ve been waiting the entire rewatch to post on this episode! But first, let’s stop and look at one of the best images on Lost… ever.
No wait, it’s beat out by one more:
HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oops, didja get a little sand in your eye, Niks? Oh, this episode is delicious. This was one of those episodes for the diehards, full of in-jokes and acting as one giant, vicious mea culpa on behalf of the writers. The more casual fans (i.e. those out there who didn’t understand our hatred of these two idiots nor did they care) mostly hated this episode, and I’ve had people email me saying it was the low point of season 3. For me… THE comic high point. While I don’t have much new to say that I didn’t RELISH saying already in my book, here are a few thoughts.
Fun things I noticed:
• Nikki and Paulo DIE!!!
• Nikki looks at Shannon and Boone and says, “Promise me we’ll never end up like them.” And then… they both end up like them. DEAD.
• Some of the past dead characters return in this one to remind us of their deaths, and that Paulo and Nikki will soon ALSO BE DEAD.
• In case you DIDN’T already think Nikki and Paulo were complete d-bags, this episode shows how much they knew and how much they COULD have helped everyone else, but were so caught up in their own greed they never bothered.
• The bodies at the bottom of the lagoon were in the same state of decomposition as they’d been when Sawyer dived down there months earlier. Does water preserve bodies?
Things that have new meaning:
• Not much has new meaning, other than two seasons later, I still LOOOOVE this episode!!
Now, for me, this episode is just missing one thing: reaction shots from some other people. First Kate got the good news:
Then the reality of what had happened finally set in and Sawyer got the joke:
This is Hurley recounting the story on Conan after he'd been rescued from the island:
And Jack hearing about it:
(No really, Jack is laughing REALLY hard in that shot.)
And it wasn't just the island folks! Here's Buffy's reaction:
And finally... Tom Cruise:
OK, calm down, Tom. Even *I* didn't think it was that funny...
But enough reveling in their deaths. NO! Wait!! More reveling! It’s time for Hitler to weigh in and tell us what HE thinks of Nikki and Paulo. Enjoy!